Monday, October 17, 2011

A Party for Henry -- by KittyCat

There’s so much stuff I just don’t understand about humans, but I’ve never been as confused as I was –well, still am—about Henry. Jessica (that’s a human cousin, sort of) called and said we were invited to a party for Henry (another human cousin, sort of).

Later, Mom said she was going to the grocery store, so I jumped in the car faster than a cricket hops to a hiding spot. I didn’t know exactly how I was going to do it, but my plan was to buy Henry a nice juicy raw chicken for his birthday. But guess what? Just as we got there, Mom saw me, and said I couldn’t go in the grocery store cuz I’m a cat. It beats me. I get to go (sometimes that’s want to or not) to the pet stuff store, and they got groceries. They also got big dogs who would chase me all over the store if they could get loose from their leashes.

Anyhow, back at the house, I licked my boots and jabot so I’d look real spiffy for Henry’s party. I was right at Mom’s heels by the door as she opened it, ready to leave. She pushed me back, saying I couldn’t go with her—it was “a just for ladies” thing. Then when I heard her tell Dad good-bye, I got really confused, and I still am. They talked for a minute or so, and said something about a shower, and talked about how Henry was not even born yet. If not even born, how can he take a shower? Why would a bunch of ladies go to his shower? –Like do they stand around and watch? Gee, you’d think a guy could have some privacy. 

So I felt real bad, for me and for Henry. When Mom goes to visit him, I’ll figure out a way to put a dollar in his toy box. In a year or so, Henry can to go to the store by himself, and buy his own chicken.  And I hope he gets to have a real birthday party someday, and it’s super nice. If it’s hot out maybe he and his friends can play with water toys or splash in a wading pool. I hope he gets to invite who he wants. I’ll bet it will be lots of kids and cats and friendly little dogs, but no old ladies.

(c) 2011, Bernice Simpson


No comments:

Post a Comment